At Milnrow Parish, we continuously review the way in which we promote effective reading and analyse texts. Our approach to reading is centred on children being confident readers and having excellent comprehension skills.
In early reading, phonemic understanding is where we begin to teach early reading skills. We follow Read, Write Inc. by Ruth Miskin and teach children how to read. The RWI website has some useful resources for parents:
Through our structured programme, the children are taught how to:
- Recognise the sounds that letters make
- Learn rhymes that begin to help them remember the sounds
ay – May I play? ai – Snail in the Rain
- Blend the sounds together to read words
- Practise sight reading particular words that cannot be decoded using phonics
“You can’t Fred a red.”
- Comprehend stories, looking at characters, plots and themes
- Become great storytellers, using their fluency skills and expression
All children are involved in daily phonics, guided reading and storytime sessions in which children continue to develop their blending, fluency, comprehension and love of reading. Children are assessed every half term, in order for us to track their progress and inform our future teaching of phonics. Children are grouped according to their own needs in early reading. We will always strive to provide our children with the best possible start to their reading journey.